BANGOR, Maine — Firefighters responded to an early-morning fire on Hammond Street on Monday.
The building at 378-380 Hammond Street has 10 units, Assistant Chief Anthony Riitano said, and seven were occupied. Everyone in the duplex-style building was displaced, he said.
Capt. John Prentiss of the fire department said the Red Cross is providing the occupants with temporary living accommodations.
One man was still in his apartment when firefighters arrived, Riitano said. While the man was able to walk out, he was sent to a hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation.
Riitano said the state fire marshal’s office determined the fire started due to a refrigerator malfunction.
Riitano said there was “extensive damage” in the apartment where the fire started, as well as fire and smoke damage to other units. He said the building will be empty until a code enforcement officer deems it habitable.
Prentiss said Brewer firefighters were initially called to the scene per the cities’ mutual aid agreement, but were then called to provide station coverage.
Prentiss said the Bangor Fire Department received the fire call at 3:41 a.m. By 7:30, the fire was extinguished and building turned over to its owner.
The building is near where Hammond St. intersects with Seventh Street.